March 3, 2012

Living Room Inspiration

Really, our whole house is a work in progress but right now I'm trying to focus on our living room. It's the center of our house and it needs a lot of love. Since I joined Pinterest almost a year ago I've been making inspiration boards for just about every room in our house. Some rooms even have their own boards just furniture considerations. I love that Pinterest allows me to look at all the pieces I'm considering for a room, I also tag each one with a price and occasionally dimensions so that I have the information I need right in front of me. Here are some living rooms that have been inspiring me, and some furnishings I've found that I'm considering.

I love these two cocktail tables aligned to create a coffee table and found similar tables here for $90 each.


However, I think this glass and metal design might be more fitting as a console table in our living room. Right is Target, 42" long, $130. Left is Bellacore, 46" long $144. I much prefer the design on the right however the wall it would sit on is 48" wide and I'm afraid it will look too big for the space with only 1 inch of clearance on either side. What do you think?

Sources: Target and Bellacor

I also love lots of open white shelving and vignettes of books, art, and objects. This living room on the right is something I could totally imagine myself living in, except toning down the colors and patterns a bit. The coffee table is gorgeous too. I'm going to search for a similar square shape.


The wall where our TV lives wouldn't work for built-ins since there is an open doorway on the left side of the wall. So I went shopping for some media/bookshelf units and found some options I liked. The first is from Pottery Barn which ranges in price from $2500 to $3700, without shipping. I love me some Pottery Barn, but this was not in the budget.


The next option I found I came across on a friend's blog, Style Comb. It's from Room & Board and at $1530 with shipping, it's in the budget. While I love how it looks in their San Fransico apartment, I couldn't picture it in my own rural wall to wall carpeted living room.


The third option is actually the first one I found, and the one I ultimately decided on. When I was visiting my parents in New Jersey last summer, I took a trip to Ikea and loved this combination of the Hemnes Living Room Series. You'll have to forgive the photo, I took it with my iphone at the store and they don't have this setup pictured online. What really appealed to me about this choice was, of course the price, but also the ability to break down the set into 3 unique pieces of furniture. Since we move every few years with the Air Force, we might not always have a wall long enough for the whole set together, but we can always use the TV stand in the living room, cabinet in the dining room, and bookcase in an office, if need be. 




I ordered this combination as pictured online and it totaled to $1190 with shipping. The closest Ikea to us is 7 hours so the gas, hotel, and boarding the dog would have added up to the shipping costs. The estimated arrival date is this Friday so I hope to show it off on the blog soon!

Are you as addicted to Pinterest as I am? You can follow me here, and please leave a link to your account in the comments, I'd love to follow you too!


2 comments:

Mora said...

IKEA makes an adorable white square coffee table with four glass chambers to place books and decorations in.

madeleine.lapenta said...

You should also check out the Sundance catalog (if you haven't already). Full price can be prohibitive, so make sure you look at the outlet section, too.