March 7, 2012

How to Refill a Swiffer WetJet

I wanted to share a little housewifey trick I figured out last week. I'm sure lots of you have Swiffer WetJets, as I do. I was reluctant to buy one at first because it seemed both wasteful and expensive to have to buy the individual bottles of the cleaning solution (which I've since learned gives me a massive headache) and boxes of the pads. When I was at the store I came across Mrs. Meyer's cleaning products, my name sake and my savior. I picked up a bottle of the concentrated all purpose cleaner, and I thought, hmm...why don't I just fill up the Swiffer bottles with this? It would be way cheaper and wouldn't give me a headache. Genius!

When I got home and tried to open the cap of the Swiffer bottle, it wouldn't budge. They childproofed it so hooligans like me couldn't get around buying it. So I did what any modern day women would do. I googled it. And there was the answer. Simply bring a small pot of water to a boil, and dip just the top/cap of the Swiffer bottle into it for about 10 seconds. This expands/contracts the plastic (I'm no scientist) and you can unscrew the lid, with a towel because boiling water tends to be hot, and proceed to fill with whatever cleaning solution you like. Tada!


The Mrs. Meyer's concentrated cleaner has you dilute 1/4 of a cup (2oz) into a gallon (128oz) of water so one bottle creates 16 gallons or 2,048oz of cleaning solution. The Swiffer bottle holds 1/3 of a gallon of solution, so once the bottle is open put in 1/3 of a 1/4 of a cup of concentrated cleaner. I don't want to do the math on that. I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and fill it about 1/3 of the way. Then I fill the Swiffer the rest of the way with water, leaving some room at the top, close it, and shake it up.

At the time I did this, I had 3 empty Swiffer bottles so I imagine I'll just continue to use them all up before refilling them all at the same time. I have also since rinsed out my empty 409 spray bottle and refilled it with Mrs. Meyer's too. It's a good value and it smells like lavender, what more could you ask for?

Now I just have to think up a way to make washable fabric pads instead of disposable ones and I'll be set! Any ideas?!

2 comments:

Chloe Mae said...

Thank you for this! I will definitely try it out!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip on refilling the Swiffer bottles. I love Mrs. Meyers Lemon Verbena fragrance. Now I can have for the floors too. Search Pinterest for crochet reusable Swiffer pads!