March 5, 2012

Double-Ginger Chocolate Chunk Cookies

These cookies have been on my "to bake" list since Christmas. Well, I don't have a literal list, but they've definitely been on my mind. While visiting family in New Jersey, I was asked to make a dessert for a Christmas Eve dinner that was being served buffet style to 30 or so people. I wanted to make something festive in individual sizes for ease of serving and eating. I decided on gingerbread cupcakes, which were amazing by the way. The recipe called for a garnish of candied ginger so my mom picked some up for me when grocery shopping. I ended up not using it because I was afraid it would be falling off all over the place, so I brought it back to New Mexico with me since I love ginger. I mentioned my left over candied ginger to my friend Madeleine, who is also passionate about baking, and she sent me this recipe. I had a couple of girlfriends over for dinner last night so I finally gave it a go!

I didn't really know what to except from these cookies but they turned out delicious! They're sort of a spin off on a chewy spice cookie with molasses, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves in the dough. I love the addition of the candied ginger and dark chocolate. The recipe calls for cutting up a dark chocolate bar but I grabbed Ghirardelli large dark chocolate chips at the store to save time. Once you finish making the dough, you roll it into balls and then through sugar to coat. I was afraid the balls wouldn't spread out on their own but I trusted the recipe and they did so just fine. Also, stick with the recommended baking time, I thought the cookies looked too soft at 10 minutes but once cooled, they were perfect.

Photos taken with Instagram, my favorite iphone app. Sometimes it's more convenient to grab it instead of my pro camera when I'm on a time crunch.



Double-Ginger Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Prep time: 30 minutes

Baking time: 10 minutes

Makes 30 cookies


2¼ cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon coarse salt

1½ teaspoons ground ginger

1 teaspoon cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

1 tablespoon cocoa powder

12 tablespoons unsalted butter
(1½ sticks), room temperature

1⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar

1⁄3 cup granulated sugar 
(plus ½ cup for rolling)

1 large egg yolk

½ cup molasses

1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped 
candied ginger

1 cup dark chocolate chunks, chop a gourmet chocolate bar (or use dark chocolate chips)


1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, spices and cocoa in a large bowl. Set aside. 


2. With a mixer, cream together butter and 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar and 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Beat in egg yolk. Add molasses and vanilla. Add flour mixture. Mix until no flour pockets remain. Stir in chocolate and ginger. Chill dough until firm.
(I did not chill)

4. Place ½ cup granulated sugar in
a bowl. Roll tablespoonfuls of cookie dough into balls; roll in sugar. 


5. Place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, rotating pan after 5 minutes, until cookies are beginning to crack and edges are just set. Do not over bake.


6. Let cookies cool briefly on baking sheet, and transfer to a rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

madeleine.lapenta said...

I, in turn, must give props to my mother for this recipe!